76. Newsletter, July

                       


A stunning wildflower, Michigan Lily,  Lilium michiganense, with Meadow Fritillary

Painted in watercolor by ©Heeyoung Kim


Lilies and Butterflies:

Next Zoom Workshop for Intermediate Level

While woodland understory plants being dormant in summer, edges and areas with open canopy are filled with colorful wildflowers. When you turn your eyes to wet areas with full or half sunlight, you might see striking orange lilies with dark markings. 

There are several native lilies in similar shape and color in the USA such as Michigan Lily (Lilium michiganense), Turk’s Cap Lily (L. superbum), , Canada Lily (L. canadense), Humboldt’s Lily (L. humboldtii), Tiger Lily (L. pardalimun) and many more. Among them, Wood Lily (L. philadelphicum) is uniquely shaped with upright flower face and straight tepals, while most other lilies face down with curled tepals. Of course, there are many native lily species around the world. California Native Plant Society website is showing 23 native lilies in California. https://calscape.org/loc-california/Lilium(all)/vw-list/np-0?

We often see cultivar lilies in gardens, but there are plenty of absolutely gorgeous native lilies that you might want to plant. 😉🤗 For example, a Michigan Lily in bloom becomes a showstopper with its majestic beauty. It is so precious that I have never cut a flower to draw and paint. I just can’t hurt it …. Then, how did I draw and paint it several times? Well, I was almost eaten up by mosquitos in hot and humid summer days in the wood even with a mosquito net and spray. 

I am so glad to have a Zoom workshop with this lily, and a butterfly. It will start this Saturday, July 15th. More info, visit my website, www.heeyoungkim.net 


Watercolor for Beginners - Zoom Workshop

After this course was run in January, the feedback from the course attendees was so wonderful and made my heart singing. Then the words were spread …. Isn’t it the best promotion for any business? 😀 Gratefully, I decided to rerun it, because there have been many inquiries about the same course. 

In this series of Watercolor for Beginners course, students will learn about the very basic yet fundamental skills in handling watercolor materials and painting techniques. Besides these basics, students will learn the process of selecting a subject and setting it up with a good environment. 

Schedule: All classes in this course: 3 pm - 6 pm, Central Time.

  • Course 1: Fundamentals of watercolor painting. Aug 12, 19, 26.

  • Course 2: Furthering painting experiences with flowers. Sep 16, 23, 30

  • Course 3: Leaves with linear and net veins. Oct 28, Nov 4, 11

More information: https://www.heeyoungkim.net/class-listing



This is met demo pieces for the watercolor for beginners course. There were more, of course. 



Advanced Watercolor: Botanicals in Ecological Context

Nature’s Bird Feeder 2: Red Flowers and Hummingbirds

The theme “Nature’s Bird Feeder” will continue in mid summer. The image below is my work in progress. It’s all about insects that birds can feed on. Birds don’t just eat berries and seeds, or nuts from bird feeders offered by kind humans. Studies show that 96% of birds feed their young insects, especially caterpillars. What I want to show throughout this series of projects is the sustainable environment where native plants provide shelters and foods to the insects. 

The next subject will be Red Flowers and Hummingbirds. I will choose Cardinal Flower and Jewelweed as plant subjects, and Ruby-throated hummingbird and a few moths added to the hosting plants. If you are interested in joining this ongoing Tuesday Advanced Watercolor Zoom workshop, contact me, please! 

  • Next class schedule: August 1, 8, 22, 29, 10 am - 1 pm, CT. 

Registration at www.heeyoungkim.net 


Here is my demo piece. This shows a middle part of the full painting.




What’s on the Easel

I have several milkweed and monarch paintings in the drawer. Some are already finished, others are almost there or just started….. 

When I see milkweeds starting to bloom with monarch butterflies and quite a few other insects swarming around, I take out all the works in progress and start to work on them. Often I feel like I am migrating with the monarchs. When they migrate back to the south, my paintings are stored in the drawer. And they come out to be painted, when the pretty butterflies come back. I hope you will enjoy the beauty of these wonderful symbiosis between milkweeds and monarchs.

Respectfully, 

Heeyoung, July 13th, 2023


Whorled Milkweed and Monarch, watercolor work in progress, ©Heeyoung Kim 2023


All blog contents are copyrighted. No unauthorized usages are allowed. ©Heeyoung Kim 2023

             For questions or inquiries, contact Heeyoung Kim via her website: www.heeyoungkim.net 

Popular posts from this blog

71. 7th Annual Enriching Life

Paintings & Stories: 1. You think you are done! Well, too early?